BRONXVILLE, N.Y. -- Bronxville Elementary School's chess team placed sixth in the U.S. Chess Federation's 2016 National Elementary Championship.
“In the 20-plus years that the NSCF has been teaching the chess program in the Bronxville School, there has never been a better result,” said Sunil Weeramantry, executive director of the National Scholastic Chess Foundation.
The following students participated in the competition:
- First-grader Keith Chen.
- Second-graders Rhys Brown, Teo Valdes and Olive Wilson.
- Third-graders Natalie Beit and Liberty Wilson.
- Fourth-graders Lorenzo Acharya, Harrison Brown, Charlie Hodulik and Madeline Lescott.
- Fifth-graders Jamie Valdes and Eugene Yoo.
- Sixth-graders William Bornmann, Alexander Kupersmith and Tyler Tanaka-Wong.
The students participated in nine sections and seven rounds over three days with more than 2,200 students from around the U.S.
The championship took place May 6-8 in Nashville, Tenn.