BRONXVILLE, N.Y. - Detectives with the Bronxville Police Department are investigating a series of FedEx packages that were poached in the village by “porch pirates.”
Officials are investigating a slew of stolen packages that were taken from residences on Courseview Road, Fordal Road and the surrounding area, police said. A suspect or suspects have not been identified by investigators.
Earlier this month, a man was busted stealing an $1,800 package while posing as a FedEx employee in the village. Earlier this year, a man from Las Vegas was arrested after attempting to claim a package at a Kensington Road home.
In an effort to help homeowners combat “porch pirates,” police have provided advice to follow to avoid becoming a victim:
- Require a signature, if possible;
- Leave delivery instructions to place packages at a side or back door that is not visible to the street;
- Have a trusting neighbor or friend pick up and hold packages from the home until they can be retrieved;
- Have packages delivered to a workplace or a UPS/FedEx Store;
- Have packages delivered to a local family member who is home during the day;
- Invest in a lockbox or bag that delivery persons can place packages in, then lock.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.