BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – For the second time this month, the Bronxville Board of Education authorized additional emergency money for construction work to address concerns about the third-floor ceiling, which partially collapsed July 26.
Earlier this month, the board authorized the district to spend nearly $500,000 to repair and reinforce portions of the third-floor ceiling when approximately 250 square feet of it collapsed on the hallway outside the science classrooms.
The board recently passed a second resolution for a revised plan that will not exceed $997,428. Approximately $377,000 of the total is for the asbestos abatement.
Following the July collapse, the district’s architects and construction managers - KD & D and Park East - conducted additional inspections and concluded some other classrooms under attic space could be at risk, Superintendent of Schools David Quattrone said.
The initial plan called for repair by reattaching the existing ceiling to the support structure above it. After evaluating the conditions, the district has decided a more comprehensive approach - a complete replacement project - would be more cost effective and better in the long-term for the district.
Board of Education President David Brashear said the plan would make permanent improvements and help modernize a building that was built nearly a century ago in 1920.
“Board members expressed support for the more comprehensive approach, which will completely remove the ceiling asbestos in most third-floor classrooms,” he said.
Quattrone said the money would be obtained by transferring money from several reserves, partially offset by insurance recoveries. The abatement portion of the project, which will include air quality testing, is scheduled to be completed by Aug. 28.
Once the abatement is complete, demolition, electrical work and carpentry will begin. Due to the revised plan, construction work will continue into the first month of the upcoming school year, though most construction will take place outside of school hours.
While construction is ongoing, six classrooms on the high school side and four on the middle school side will be unavailable. Those classes will be rescheduled and relocated to other building locations, with access to that area being phased in slowly as construction is completed.
Quattrone praised the work of the consultants that have helped put the new, comprehensive plan in place.
“KG & D and Park East have been energetic, committed allies in response to this situation,” he said. “They have worked quickly and efficiently to protect the safety of all, move forward to a timely completion and minimize costs.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.