BRONXVILLE, N.Y. -- Bronxville High School has been named the most challenging high school in Westchester County and the seventh-most challenging high school in New York State, according to a new national study of public and private high schools conducted by the Washington Post.
According to the report, the study ranks schools through an index formula that is a simple ratio: the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year, divided by the number of seniors who graduated that year. A ratio of 1.000 means the school had as many tests as graduates.
Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career, called equity and excellence, according to the report.
Bronxville received an index score of 4.933 with its 100-percent four-year graduation rate, an average SAT score of 1,865 and an offering of 20 AP courses.
Bronxville also was ranked the 11th-most challenging school in the Northeast region and ranked 131st nationally.
City Honors in Buffalo was ranked the most challenging school in New York State with an index of 9.121. American Indian Public Charter School in Oakland, Calif., was named the most challenging school in America with an index of 21.909 in the Post's study.
The top 10 most-challenging high schools in Westchester County, according to the study are:
1. Bronxville High School (4.933)
2. Rye High School (4.220)
3. Yonkers High School (4.212)
4. Harrison High School (4.205)
5. Irvington High School (3.882)
6. Dobbs Ferry High School (3.537)
7. Horace Greeley High School, Chappaqua (3.371)
8. Croton-Harmon High School, Croton (3.349)
9. Edgemont High School, Scarsdale (3.321)
10. Rye Neck High School, Mamaroneck (3.155)
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings Off Hutchinson River Parkway
- 5 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three