BRONXVILLE, N.Y. -- Bronxville Mayor Mary Marvin writes a column that is re-published by the Daily Voice.
Now that we can declare spring is officially here, my thoughts turn to the efforts of our Village Green Committee.
The committee, chaired by Mary Liz Mulligan, has put Bronxville on the map through environmental initiatives, including the promotion of organic lawn care, mulching in place, recycling, and reuse.
First on their schedule is “Take Back Day” Saturday, May 28.
So, if spring cleaning is on your agenda, come to Palumbo Place behind Village Hall from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Each person can bring up to four boxes of private documents to shred via the Westchester County Mobile Shredder; drop off electronic waste for its proper disposal, including computers, monitors, keyboards, televisions, cell phones, printers, scanners and faxes; and donate any used blankets, sheets and towels to area pet shelters.
Next on the agenda is the development of the long-planned community garden at Maltby Field Park.
The park also includes paths and an open lawn. It will debut with eight plots, two dedicated to growing crops for soup kitchens and food pantries and the others for use by school children and the community.
Thanks to the Green Committee:
- The village and school committed to caring for all of our trees and open spaces free of chemicals and pesticides and mulching leaves in place.
- Residents are disposing of rigid waste in biodegradable bags at curbside. The result is more frequent pick-ups and, most importantly, our sewage system is not clogged with yard waste after rain storms.
- Individuals understand the contaminant effects of throwing pet waste into our sewers. It results in dangerous bacteria getting into waterways.
- The village now ranks in the top three communities out of the 45 in Westchester in the percentage of residential and business trash recycled.
- The village is undergoing an energy audit to ensure conservation in our municipal buildings.
- Energy-saving LED lights will replace incandescent bulbs throughout the village.
Call me at (914) 337-6500 to join The Green Team.