Contact Us
Bronxville Daily Voice serves Bronxville, NY

Menu

Bronxville Daily Voice serves Bronxville, NY

Nearby Towns

politics

Bronxville Flood Mitigation Project Begins In January

Construction related to improvements of storm water drainage systems, as part of the FEMA flood mitigation grant project awarded to Bronxville in 2012, is expected to begin in January of 2015.
Construction related to improvements of storm water drainage systems, as part of the FEMA flood mitigation grant project awarded to Bronxville in 2012, is expected to begin in January of 2015. Photo Credit: File

BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Construction related to improvements of storm-water drainage systems, is expected to begin in January 2015 with a completion date of August to early September 2015.

The project --  part of the Federal Emergency Management Agence flood mitigation grant project awarded to Bronxville in 2012 -- will benefit the Bronxville School campus, and will also aid neighbors on Meadow, Willow and Midland Avenue, and even in Bolton Gardens.

Based on a cost-benefit analysis, factoring in the storm events of 2007 and 2011 in which the school alone had losses upwards of $28 million, FEMA determined the project to be cost effective at a dollar value of nearly $6.9 million. The village entered into a funding agreement with FEMA where FEMA would cover 75 percent of the cost with the village and school district evenly splitting the remaining 25 percent.

The following upgrades are part of the project:

  • A new flow diversion structure will be installed in the alignment of each of the two existing primary water conveyance trunk lines to divert excess runoff
  • A new storm-water pump station will be constructed in the parking lot on the school campus to deliver the excess runoff diverted from the existing trunk lines to the Bronx River
  • Five diesel-powered pumping units will be installed with a pumping capacity of 100,000 gallons per minute
  • A below-grade concrete wet well will be built to receive the pump suction lines and to provide temporary runoff storage during pumping
  • Construction of an architectural wall enclosure around the pumping units for aesthetics and noise attenuation
  • A new below-grade storage piping network will be constructed below the existing natural turf field (Hayes Field) on the school campus.
  • A new conveyance system pipe will be installed from the pump station location to Scout Field directing the excess runoff to the Bronx River via Laurel Brook. The new force main will cross Midland Avenue extending across library and village hall property to the area near the intersection of Palumbo Place and Gramatan Avenue. A new stabilized drainage channel will also be constructed on Scout Field to direct excess runoff from the force main pipe.

Specifically, the pump station will capture and deliver excess storm-water runoff to the Bronx River before flooding occurs under most storm event conditions because it will utilize a dedicated force main pipe so that storm water can reach the Bronx River.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Bronxville Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.