BRONXVILLE, N.Y. - Elizabeth "Betty de Spencer" Douglas of Bronxville died Saturday, May 31. She was 89.
Douglas was born April 26, 1925, in New Bedford, Mass., to Antone Lopes and Anna Spencer. Upon turning 18, she left New Bedford and settled in New York City. She served 10 years as PTA president, 15 as the editor of the Parent Press and 25 years as a World Book Encyclopedia salesperson. In 1974, she moved to Bronxville. She then returned to school at age 52 and proceeded to earn her bachelors and Masters from Fordham University.
Douglas is survived by her children, Noelle, Stewart, Reed, Theodora, Lawrence and Lamont; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband, Jackson Douglas; and daughter, Janelle.
Calling hours are 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, June 4 at the Fred H. McGrath and Son Funeral Home, Bronxville. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday, June 5 at St. Joseph's Church, Bronxville.
- 1 Häagen-Dazs Unveiling New Nationwide Look In Bronxville
- 2 Flood Mitigation Passes, Synthetic Hayes Field Turf Rejected, In Bronxville
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Bronxville
- 4 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Bronxville, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 5 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Bronxville; Blizzard Warning Issued