BRONXVILLE, N.Y. - Many potential gardeners struggle trying to figure out to get started but members of The Bronxville Beautification Council have graciously imparted some hard fought wisdom on ways to get started this holiday weekend.
1. When it comes to deciding what to plant, where you want to plant it is key. Location of the sun should be the first consideration of what and where to plant.
2. Take stock of the soil's condition. A soil ph test will help you determine what will grow well in the area of the garden you would like to plant in.
3. Decide what kind of plantings you want. Do you want a vegetable garden, flowers that attract butterflies, a bird sanctuary? Planning is essential because certain plants do better when planted with other plants.
4. Don't use bug repellant. The plantings attract bugs, which attract birds etc, all of which help create a natural environment.
5. Let your garden be your sanctuary. Sit back and smell the roses, literally.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.