EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Several students from Eastchester and Bronxville were honored with the first ever Mary Denning Scholarship from the Eastchester Irish American Social Club.
The Mary Denning Scholarship Fund was created through the Eastchester Irish American Social Club to recognize local students for their contribution to the Irish community and academic achievement.
Seniors Katie Phelan, Michael Kenny, Kevin Teahan, Alex Fitzpatrick, Conor Geraghty, Brendan O’Neil, Michael Denning and Christopher and Matthew Colavita. Each student is enrolled in the Tuckahoe, Eastchester or Bronxville High School and has parents who are actively involved in the Eastchester Irish American Social Club.
The Irish community and encouraging the youth of her neighborhood to go to college were two characteristics that were important to Denning before she died in 2010.
The scholarship was established to keep Denning’s spirit alive, and to promote her strong love of Ireland, its rich culture, the importance of education and love of family and friends in the town of Eastchester.
The scholarship was open to the children of active members of the Eastchester Irish Social Club who will be enrolled in college or trade school by September.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 2 Bronxville's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 4 Richard Wilhelm Joins Bronxville's Chapel School As A Spanish Teacher
- 5 Westchester Parishes Waiting On Word Of Closures