EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Girl Scouts in Eastchester, Tuckahoe and Bronxville will celebrate Arbor Day on Friday by planting tree seedlings at the Magic Treetures Forest.
The tree nursery nurtures the seedlings until they are harvested or “graduate” and can be placed in permanent homes in the community. Each seedling will have a Treetures tree marker placed next to it to keep it company until it grows large enough to be considered for transplanting.
At the 13th annual Arbor Day event, local teenagers will dress in costume and cheer on the scouts who will be planting 200 new seedlings. Since its inception in 2000, the forest has provided several 10-foot trees that are sprinkled around the community.
Five and six-year-old girl scouts will be joined by friends, family and town officials that will aid them in the task. Planting is done under the supervision of Michael Marks, who works with the Almstead Tree Company.
During the summer, the Eastchester Highway Department helps maintain the nursery and provides water service for the nursery.
The girl scouts will be planting seedlings from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on Friday at the nursery on Highland Avenue and California Road. Those who participate at the event will receive a “green heart” sticker and a “Tree Keeper Certificate” from Treetures Environmental Education Program Director Judith Blau.
- 1 IRS Warns Bronxville Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 3 Former Bronxville Surgeon Creates Tuckahoe Center of Excellence
- 4 Driver, Witnesses Assist Police After Pedestrian Struck, Killed On Saw Mill
- 5 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School