TUCKAHOE, N.Y. The cause of a fire that raged through a Tuckahoe home during the early hours of Dec. 9 was determined to be electrical, according to Eastchester Fire Department Chief Michael Grogan.
"We were able to determine that the point of origin was a small fluorescent light fixture," Grogan said Monday. He added that the home will likely be declared a total loss.
On Friday morning, Tuckahoe Police and the Eastchester Fire Department rushed to David Verner's home located on Marbledale Road on the Tuckahoe/Eastchester border at 3:20 a.m. after a 911 call from a neighbor.
Verner, 79, was trapped on his back deck as his one-bedroom home burned behind him. Police Officers Vincent Pinto and Francisco Ramirez rescued Verner with a ladder supplied by neighbor Michael Francella. Eastchester Fire Capt. Lou Bucchieri said approximately 20 firefighters fought the blaze, which had appeared to have begun at the rear of the home and traveled to the front.
Later that morning, Verner's son Chris said his father was taken to the Burn Unit at Jacobi Hospital in the Bronx with second degree burns on his hands and arms. Jacobi Hospital confirmed that Verner was released on Monday.
Bucchieri said there were no injuries among the firefighters and that the Mount Vernon Fire Department came to the scene to stand by if needed.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.