WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Hats are art according to ArtsWestchester in Westchester, which will be showing unique headwear through April 12, during HATtitude: The Milliner in Culture and Couture.
More than 160 hats will be featured in this exhibition that has gathered over 40 contemporary milliners, many of whom are sought after by fashionistas around the world. Through hats that range from playful expressions of individuality to symbols of propriety or sculptural masterpieces, the show highlights the hat’s function in global cultures, as well as its prominent position in 20th and 21st century couture fashion.
A calendar of engaging lectures by fashion and art historians rounds out additional, related programming. In addition, hands-on workshops led by exhibiting milliners will introduce the public of all ages to the art of hat making.
“According to an old saying, 'If you want to get ahead, wear a hat,' said Janet Langsam, ArtsWestchester chief executive officer. "That's particularly true in today's day and age as hats are becoming more like works of art and fewer people are wearing them. So to stand out in the crowd, wear a hat.”
There are several public programs associated with the exhibit. Visit the show's website online.
- 1 Bronxville Attorney Charged With Stealing From Escrow Accounts
- 2 Three Tellers Charged In Identity Theft Bust Involving Westchester Banks
- 3 Big City Medical Care Now Available In Smalltown Bronxville
- 4 Respiratory Virus Affecting Children May Have Arrived In Westchester
- 5 Bronx River Parkway Closures Continue Thursday, Friday