BRONXVILLE, N.Y. -- How does buying locally help you? The Bronxville Chamber of Commerce will help you count the ways.
Quoting Mayor Mary Marvin as saying that for every $100 spent in a locally owned, independent store, $68 comes back to the community, the Chamber recently released a list of reasons to shop local.
According to the Chamber, the same amount spent at a mall or chain store returns $48 "home," and, if spent on the Internet, nothing comes back to the towns and villages.
The sales tax revenue component is key to the success of every local budget nationwide, it said.
One-third of all state revenues, totaling over $150 billion annually, comes from the collection of a sales tax, the Chamber said. When those revenues drop, the end result is the elimination of jobs in public works and police, further eroding vital services to taxpayers, it added.
According to the Chamber, the village's share of sales tax revenue dipped enough, especially in the calendar year 2010-2011, to necessitate trimming staff hours and some special services. Without the sales tax revenue component in last year's village budget, property taxes would have risen 12 percent, the Chamber said.
The Chamber’s other reasons for urging folks to shop local are:
- Economic ripple effect: Bronxville shoppers feed Bronxville meters; Bronxville businesses pay Bronxville taxes; Bronxville employees buy food, goods, and services in Bronxville; Bronxville businesses employ local services like accountants, insurance brokers, computer consultants, attorneys, graphic designers, and window designers; a vibrant business district results in higher property values. Supporting Bronxville businesses helps keep municipal services strong and property taxes down.
- Village character: The unique landscape of the Bronxville business community is an asset that is well worth preserving. Bronxville is differentiated from surrounding communities by having a high concentration of locally owned, independent businesses, the owners of which take as much pride in Bronxville as residents do. Many merchants have been in Bronxville for decades and are true stalwarts of the community.
- Our Businesses Give Back: Bronxville businesses support your fundraisers, donate goods and gift certificates, and can be relied upon time and time again.
- Customer service: Personal attention. Store owners take great pride in helping you identify the perfect item, special order what you want, grant discounts because you’re a valued customer, adjust their hours to accommodate your schedule, have your gifts wrapped and ready for pickup, deliver locally, and more.
- Distinct merchandise: Escape retail redundancy. Independently owned merchants make different buying decisions than the giant chains.
- The People: When you support local, independent businesses, you support local, independent people. Get to know your local merchant and you’ll get to know a neighbor -- often a single proprietor or a family-owned business. Support a local business and you’ll help a Westchester-based family send their kids to college, pay off their mortgage, and spend their own money locally.
- Feel it…see it…smell it: There’s no substitute for the five senses when choosing items for purchase. How many times did you mail order an item only to find that it doesn’t fit, the dimensions aren’t what they seemed, and its material is flimsy? When you shop right locally, you get to handle the item in question and know exactly what you’re getting, reducing the need for returns. But if you do have to return something, there’s no need for bubble wrap and waiting on line at the post office -- just pop into town and go straight to the source.
- Instant gratification: Never mind next-day shipping -- shop in Bronxville and have it in your hands the same day. If you must buy online, choose a Bronxville business that offers online retail.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.